Student Learning Coach Programme
Who is it for?
This programme is for students who have already begun their journey as a student learning coach or have the potential to bring these experiences back to your school to further enhance their own learning but prompt others to action! A student learning coach does not need to be an expert but does need to have a commitment and respect for others. This is not about academic ability but about exploring learning.
What will it deliver?
- Activities that can be transferred back into school and used by students to deliver to their peers and/or staff
- Structures to enable meaningful coaching conversations
- Hands on practical activities that will prompt action, to enable self-reflection
What will it do?
The aim is to experience a host of active challenges that will develop their personal practice and help develop self-awareness that will make a difference to themselves as students and others. The programme will provide a platform for like-minded learners to challenge more rigorous thinking and develop emotional intelligence.
What does it involve?
A day of activities exploring the potential of coaching to enhance teaching & learning.
- Discussion and activities linked to what coaching is and what coaching is not
- Questioning techniques and the words used
- Body language and voice control
- Methods to prompt self-reflection and strategies to enable students to see things from different viewpoints
- Developing confidence in celebrating success
- Methods to establish rapport and trust of another
How do we know it works?
“Challenges me to think about the impact I have inside and outside the learning space… enables me to reflect on my own practice – gives me self-belief and more self-confidence”
Year 12 Student
“Coaching enabled me to realise that you need to stop and reflect on your practice if you are to truly understand learning”
Year 10 student