Strengthening Teaching & Learning
NQT Secondary Induction Programme 2018/2019
The focus of the programme is reflection upon observed classroom practice and action research with a clear focus on the Teachers’ Standards. There will be CPD input in relation to each theme and participants will engage in action research relating to this theme in their own school setting.
- To ensure that newly qualified teachers gain the support they require in order to develop and reflect on their own practice
- To promote ‘thinking teachers’ with a reflective outlook based upon classroom observation of experienced teachers
- To build the knowledge, skills and understanding of the Teachers’ Standards required to ensure successful completion of their NQT year
Each twilight session (3.30 – 4.30pm) will last for approximately 1 hours including CPD input from experienced teachers and SLEs.
Session 1 – Setting high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge (TS1)
Session 2 – How do we know students are making progress? (TS2)
Session 3 – Adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all students (TS5). Challenging and supporting students
Session 4 – Making accurate use of assessment (TS6)
Session 5 – Using approaches to meet students’ needs in order to involve and motivate them (TS7)
The programme will encourage NQTs to build contacts in other schools and support them in completion of their NQT assessment.
Cost: £200 per NQT; £150 per additional NQT for alliance members (£350 and £250 for non alliance members).
If you would like further information please contact:
Adrian Taylor, Director of Teaching School, email@example.com
Or to book places: Teaching School Administration: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assessment Without Levels: Do you want to develop a robust process for assessment at the point of Learning?
This is an academic year programme beginning in July 2017 to develop assessment best practice in Derby and Derbyshire schools. It has been developed by Specialist Leaders in Education accredited for assessment and is supported by Derbyshire Local Authority. It is completely cross phase to focus on the principles of assessment at the point of learning.
The Aims of the programme are to:
- Embed the features of ‘great’ assessment at the point of learning into classroom practice so as to ensure all groups of pupils make progress at least in line with target expectations
- Develop a working understanding of the principles of assessment without levels to support pupil progress
- Support more effective transition between Key Stages through focused observation, reflection & CPD in a range of contexts
Who Should Participate? Colleagues with a responsibility for assessment of pupil progress eg Head of key stage; head of department; school assessment lead; senior leaders who wish to reflect upon and develop their assessment practice to improve learning and achievement in their classroom.
The focus of the programme is reflection upon observed classroom practice, CPD input and action research, hence the sessions will involve participants in focused observation of experienced classroom teachers in local primary and secondary schools. There will be CPD input in relation to each theme and participants will engage in action research relating to this theme in their own school setting.
Each session will last for approximately 3 ½ hours including CPD input from assessment and SLEs, lesson observation and action research. The timing of the session will fit with the start of afternoon school at the host school.
Session 1 – Building a vision of ‘Great’ assessment
Session 2 – What are we learning? Learning objectives and success criteria.
Session 3 – Feedback and marking
Session 4 – Questioning at the heart of assessment
Session 5 – Building robust assessment processes
Cost: £350 per participant for Landau Forte Teaching School Alliance members.
To book email:email@example.com or for further details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting to ‘Outstanding Teaching & Learning’
The following courses seek to strengthen teaching and learning, and as such can be attended as stand-alone sessions, or can be combined to create a bespoke programme of CPD for a teacher, curriculum area or school:
- Do You Want To Create the Right Climate For Learning?
- Do You Want To Plan more effective lessons?
- Do You Want To Improve questioning in your classroom?
- Do You Want To Increase the level of challenge in your classroom?
- Do You Want To Increase pupil progress through more effective Assessment for Learning?
- Do You Want Your Pupils To Be more effective independent learners?